Wednesday, January 2, 2019

The Big Book Post 2018: Addendum

For many years, I kept a spreadsheet of all the books I read so I could do fun things like track how many times I read the same author, keep a running to-read list, etc. When Goodreads came along, I continued to update the spreadsheet, but when my computer died and I moved all my stuff on to a portable hard drive, I stopped bothering with the spreadsheet because Goodreads does most of the stuff that it did without my even having to do much work. Granted, Goodreads doesn't get as nerdy as my spreadsheet got. There was one data-driven detail I wanted to put into my 2018 Big Book Post which would have required digging out the spreadsheet, but when I explored Goodreads a little more I found that the website does have the functionality I thought it lacked. So, I give you:

My 5 Most-Read Authors

  • Jasper Fforde (9 books): Although I haven't read him since the most recent Thursday Next book in 2012, Fforde is the author I've read the most, thanks in no small part to the aforementioned 7-book series. I've also read Shades of Gray and The Big Over Easy.
  • David Sedaris (8 books): Sedaris is the author by whom I've read the most standalone books, although one could consider his story collections a long series jumping back and forth through time. Reading Calypso last year bounced him out of a tie and now he stands firmly in second place.
  • J.K. Rowling (7 books): You know the ones. I haven't read her in 12 years yet here she sits at #3.
  • Sarah Vowell (6 books): My last Vowell was Lafayette in the Somewhat United States which I read in 2016. The only book of hers I haven't read (not counting books she only edited or contributed to) is Radio On.
  • Margaret Atwood (6 books): I knew Atwood's name before I read her because of the Moxy Früvous song "My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors." The first book of hers I read was The Handmaid's Tale in 2007, now enjoying a resurgence in popularity thanks to Hulu TV series. My reading of Alias Grace last year bumped her up to a tie with Sarah Vowell.
Other authors I've read more than once:
  • 5 books: Alison Weir, Augusten Burroughs, Mary Roach
  • 4 books: Gregory Maguire, Neil Gaiman, Philippa Gregory
  • 3 books: Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games trilogy), Dan Brown, Kazuo Ishiguro, James Hamilton-Paterson (Gerald Samper trilogy), Audrey Niffenegger, Piers Anthony (books 1-3 of the Incarnations of Immortality series), Haruki Murakami
  • 2 books: Douglas Adams (books 1 and 2 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series), George Saunders, Jodi Picoult, Lemony Snicket (books 1 and 2 of the Series of Unfortunate Events), Ellen DeGeneres, David Rakoff, Philip Pullman (books 1 and 2 of the His Dark Materials series), Michael Chabon, Mitch Albom, Kurt Vonnegut, Jenny Lawson

No comments:

Post a Comment