Sunday, January 2, 2022

Everything else 2021

I just want to make sure I cover EVERYTHING okay?

In between and alongside periods of scary COVID spread, the following things happened in my life in 2021.

Milestones:

  • 5 years at my job and a promotion to Associate Director
  • 8 years in my apartment, and nearly 3 on the co-op board (why do I do this to myself)
  • 10 consecutive years on the board of NYMAAC (local alumni chapter of Phi Sigma Pi)
  • 16 years in the band, 12 in the orchestra
  • 16 years living in NYC
  • 41 years on planet Earth
  • My cats turned 9 (each), but they'll be 10 by the time you finish reading this post (possibly 11)
  • Reconnected with an ex (after 12 years)
  • Saw Claire & Chris, and Antonya, for the first time in many years
  • We got a bunch more CitiBike docks in Sunset Park, and that amped up my ridership (33 rides this year out of 47 total). I've ridden a total of 139 miles and visited 48 docking stations over the course of my membership (or, something-else-ship, since I'm not a member).
  • Joined Home Chef and cooked approximately 150 meals (I'm not going to go back and count, but it was 52 weeks at 3 meals a week with the occasional week off)
  • Fed many mourning doves after installing my first bird feeder (inspired by the Uttechs)
  • 92 consecutive weeks of what I used to call my Quarantine Diary, now "Weekly Shmeekly"
  • Several friends' pets died, including Penny
COVID-related milestones
  • 3 COVID vaccine shots
  • QUO, symphonic band, and marching band in-person rehearsals resumed
  • Started going back into the office 1-2 times a week (to make it easier to get to rehearsals)
  • NYMAAC resumed in-person events (we're doing both in-person and remote events now)
  • Saw my aunt, uncle, and cousins for the first time since pandemic at Thanksgiving

    Trips:

    • 2 visits to the Uttechs in Marathon: 1 for the Bears' wedding in nearby Cortland and another just for Labor Day weekend.
    • 2 visits to my sister in Colorado: 1 in July with my parents and 1 in December with the whole family
    • 1 trip to the Catskills (Prattsville) for my parents' 46th anniversary
    • 1 drive to the Poconos for Cassie and Josh's wedding
    • 1 journey up to North Haven, CT to visit the Bennetts and help staff Sara's Strange Charm Glassworks booth
    • Several trips to Rahway for swimming and hanging out with the Beckers, including my birthday party
    • Several trips to Pelham and Commack for various occasions, including a surprise 40th birthday party for Alex
    Live shows:
    • The Merry Wives of Windsor at Shakespeare in the Park with Álvaro, Jess, and Kyle, and babka from Breads Bakery.
    • Cullud Wattah at the Public with Kathryn
    • Slave Play at the August Wilson Theater with Kathryn
    • Caroline or Change at Studio 54 with Kathryn
    • Company at the Jacobs Theater with NYMAAC (and yes, Kathryn)
    • Brandi Carlile at the Forest Hills Stadium with mom & Tracee
    • Sō Percussion at Caramoor with Cricket, Mark, and the Neumanns
    • Loser's Lounge: Talking Heads at City Winery with Mike B @ family
    • Squeaky Bike's Real Guts, Virtual Glory
    • Saw a few shows at Wild Birds and Barbes in Brooklyn
    • Performed in 2 QUO concerts (and a third was canceled due to Omicron)
    • Performed in 2 LGBAC symphonic band concerts
    • Performed in 9 LGBAC marching band performances including an AIDS Walk thing, an impromptu performance at the AIDS Memorial in the Village, the Dyke March, the Heritage of Pride March (such as it was), a weird Mermaid Parade-inspired thing in the Hamptons, 2 Halloween Parades, the NYC Marathon, and a gig in Herald Square (no, not the Thanksgiving Parade, that's next year!)
    Other stuff:
    • Went to an anti-Trump vigil
    • Many Zoom calls with home friends
    • Many neighbor hangs at Judy's inside and outside
    • 4 dates, 3 with the same guy
    • Attended the virtual Phi Sigma Pi National Convention and represented NYMAAC as delegate
    • Recorded 3 tracks for a LGBAC symphonic band virtual performance
    • Helped record an audition video for Patrick & Jonah which by the way got them on TV in Baking It
    • Helped Jess & Kyle move
    • 1 last party at airbmb
    • Visits from Allison, Julie, Mark, and Charlin & Seth
    • Voted in the NYC mayoral (and other offices) primary and general elections
    • Got my passport renewed
    • Saw my first moose
    • Finally went to Hops Scotch, my parents favorite hangout with their friends Kate & Richie
    • 1 trip to the beach (Jacob Riis)
    • Interviewed and accepted a new co-op member
    • Painted a mural in Kate's apartment
    • Fed at least three neighbors' cats and watered one neighbor's plants
    • Made and sent a lot of cards
    • Received original art by Sara and Laura to adorn my home:

    No comments:

    Post a Comment