Friday, March 7, 2014

Actually, it's Jadzia now.

I'm really enjoying seeing Dax handle what essentially is sexual reassignment with badassness and grace. For the uninitiated, Dax is a symbiotic life form that moves from humanoid body to humanoid body as the hosts die.  Jadzia Dax, pictured below, is the latest Dax host, and at the beginning of the series she has only recently been "joined" to the symbiont following the death of the previous, male host.  Read more here


There's a lot written about this on the internet already, and from what I read, the series explores transgender issues via Dax plenty more as it progresses, so I won't elaborate now.  I'll just say that Jadzia, with the benefit of Dax's seven lifetimes of experience, is extremely well equipped to deal with the "yeah, I'm a woman now, deal with it" encounters that she is still facing at the end of the second season, and it's fun to watch.

5 comments:

  1. Was posting this on International Women's Day intentional? :-)

    Great blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should petition Buzzfeed to create a "Which past host of Dax are you?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be taking the nerdiness to another level. Let me think about it.

      Delete